Friday, January 16, 2009

comments fom the meeting

The following comments were made following the meeting and come from Allan Robertson who gave be permission to post them.

1. I didn’t step up for a race because I’m not about to host a race other than the 8 hour that’s not a cup race. To me it makes no sense to me even have MTB races that aren’t cup events unless they are a marathon or some type of extended event strictly due to attendance. Not to mention there are some new locations for ’09 and I don’t want to take away from them.

2.Online registration. I think this is a must and we should get with the times! It would be as simple as asking Cross Country Ski Manitoba (Karin) as I believe they use Events Online.
Pros:
  • Centralized Registration
  • Ability to register for events at the same time you purchase your license
  • Ability to apply a discount for pre-registering for all cup races: buy 6 get one free, buy 6 get a free Birch Pass
  • All expenses such as commissaries, medical and permits can be deducted from the registration fees by the MCA office prior to releasing the registration fees to the clubs; this would allow a standardization of all fees paid
  • This would provide the MCA/MTB Committee to perform an accurate analysis of the MTB season from a dollar perspective.
  • As an organizer this would leave more time to focus on event preparation to ensure the event is run according to the MCA guidelines
  • It would be great to add this as a benefit clubs receive as being affiliated with the MCA
Cons:
  • Set up fees
3. I thought the plan was to have fewer events for ’09 but of better quality? 6 cup races?

4. For the future of the sport we must all understand the importance of incorporating the KOM events into the MTB calendar.
  • Cup #1 Grand Beach – Might be too early for the kids as we’re planning on starting the program that week.
  • Cup #2 Falcon – I’m not sure if there is enough terrain to keep all the age groups challenged
  • One more race would be nice but I think Swan and Brandon are out of the question due to distance
5. I had thoughts of trying to do a race at Asessippi however at the last MTB meeting I suggested I would only look at it if Dave would alternate years. I don’t think it would be reasonable to hold two events in the same season that far from the city. I understand that Dave likes his event as he brings in allot of sponsorship money for his club.

My thoughts on this:
  • I agree with Allan on the online registration - it pretty much seems like a no-brainier to me also.
  • Now that Pinawa has dropped from the schedule we are down to 5 Cup races. Not sure that 6 or 5 makes a difference when it comes to quality of events, its the organizers that dictate that.
  • We could push the Grand Beach race back one week which may help the KOM. Don't know about the Falcon Lake set up, maybe the organizer's of that could speak to this.
  • If we want to increase the number of venues that we can use, Allan's 5th point bears some further examination. One of the things I heard from other racers is that they would like to see some new venues.
Thanks Allan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. hope I didn't throw a wrench in your plans Allan.

As far as point 1. I agree, this is why we needed BDN to be a cup event, Brandon is considered far for Winnipegers (I was one once), and without the cup, would anyone show? - maybe we could do this every second year (BDN Race), so others can have a chance to host in different places?

Point 2. is huge, and I'm glad you said it, really, no BRAINER, and great points about pre paying stuff, would help us lots.

Point 3. We don't have a KOM out here, but we do have a club tread for kids (skills and fun), I just don't know how to get them to buy a MCA membership for one race.

The Dark Lord said...

Allan is right. Especially on points 1-4.

Dave J said...

I am basically in agreement with Allan:

1) XC races pretty much need to be Cup Races or Provincials unless they are being run to try out a new venue or to let a new Organizer show "their stuff"

2)As for online, let's just do it

3) Unfortunately I cannot find it in writing, however I recall that we had previously set the Cup Series as being 5 races.

4) I agree with the importance of including KOM, howeve we also need to keep in mind the importance of having Clubs, Coaches and Officials in at least 6 of Sport Manitoba's 7 Sport Regions if cycling is to be included in the Manitoba Summer Games, which in and of itself is very important.

We need to work on the development of KOM type clubs outside of Winnipeg.

I think it would be great if we had 5 Cup Races plus Provincials, for a total of 6 races, each held in a different Region.

5) Swan River and Asessippi are both in the Parkland Region. I wouldn't see a problem with using both venues for races on alternate years.

Kevin B said...

overall, I agree with most of what has already been said. some great comments and ideas here.

Allan's original comments
1 - fare enough.

2 - totally agree. it needs to happen.

3 - less races - better quality
i think we need to discus this in a meeting more. i think the "effort" we put in shows in a race. we get out what we put in.


4 - i agree KOM and the MTB races should be aligned if possible. we also need to keep in mind this is the Manitoba Cycling Association. we need to spread ourselves out across the province.

i really like Dave J's idea of races in all the regions.

thanks for the honesty Allan. let's make sure some of these things are on the agenda for the next meeting.